We want our "nice cream" (i.e. a non-diary, sugar free variation to icecream, with a base of coconut, bananas or other types of fruit) to be creamy, tasty, delicious and at least as good as the 'real deal'. Tips for succes, here:
- It's best to have a good blender or food processor. Blending frozen bananas is quite the same as blending ice cubes: noisy and hard. If you don't have one, it will still taste delicious, but it will be harder to get a thick ice-cream like consistency that we aim for.
- Bananas or a great base for nice cream because of their creamy texture, just like mangoes for example. Note that you cannot simply buy frozen bananas: freeze in ripe, spotty bananas (peeled and sliced into large chunks) for best flavor and store in a closed container or bag.
1. Earthy Andy's Acai bowl nice cream
We cannot deny: we're a huge fan of Andrea Hanneman. The Hawaiian health blogger uses her signature meal, the acai bowl, as a base for her version of nicecream.
4 frozen Ripe Bananas
2 Acai Packets
1 Fresh Mango
- Put first three ingredients in blender. Wait for bananas to defrost a little bit (3 minutes), then blend while mashing down.
- Stop and stir then continue blending and mashing down for about 1 minute, until you see a smoothie swirl.
- Top with whatever fresh goodies you love. Dried coconut flakes, granola or rawnowla, some chia seeds or nuts are also great.
2) Braav's peanut butter banana nicecream
3 Frozen sliced bananas
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
Unsweetened almond milk
Mini chocolate chips
Seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, a dash of cinnamon, sea salt to taste
Optional: roasted peanuts for topping
- Transfer the frozen bananas chunks to a very strong blender and blend until smooth and creamy. (This will take a few minutes and may require periodic pauses and adjustments. It’s very loud and intense since the bananas are frozen, similar to adding ice cubes to a blender.) Within a few minutes, you should be seeing a thick, creamy ice-creamy mixture in the blender.
- Add the peanut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sea salt, and anything else you might like in there. Pulse the blender quickly to stir the ingredients all together and when everything is mixed, serve immediately. Top with additional peanut butter and crushed roasted peanuts.