A walk in the park: Our top 3 walking spots in Belgium
Looking for the finest walking routes in Belgium? Stop searching and get inspiration here. The only thing you need to do is put on those walking shoes. Ready to get some fresh air?
1. "De Bronnenwandeling"
Go back in time in the "Voerstreek".
Time does not seem to have any grip on this area. It is the least densely populated region of Flanders, and in the small villages you will only find picturesque farms and nostalgic houses.
"De Bronnenwandeling" (8.5 km) was voted the most beautiful walking route in "Vlaanderen Vakantieland" 2012 - and rightly so. You walk through quiet forests, typical half-timbered houses and castles.
- Where: The Voerstreek (Limburg)
- Distance: 8.5 km
- Starting and ending point: Veltmanshuis cultural centre in Sint-Martens-Voeren.
- On the menu: Beautiful landscapes, forests and castles
- Nice to know: Voted the most beautiful hike through in 2012.
2. "De Broekemwandeling"
- Where: Hageland (the region between Leuven and Aarschot)
- Distance: 10.3 km
- Starting and ending point: The castle of Horst in Sint-Pieters-Rode.
- On the menu: Walking through hollow roads, between forest and fruit trees. There are magnificent landmarks such as the Horst castle and the Gempemolen.
- Nice to know: Horst Castle certainly rings a bell with comic strip fans: this castle is featured in De Rode Ridder comics as the home of "Johan de Rode Ridder".
4. Dune forest walking route or "Duinbossen wandelroute"
- Where: On the Belgian coast
- Distance: 10.3 km
- Starting and ending point: The unique tram station in "De Haan".
- What: Walking through De Duinbossen, a walking and nature reserve of 152 ha between Wenduine and Bredene.
- On the menu: Walking through De Duinbossen, a walking and nature reserve of 152 ha between Wenduine and Bredene. You will see lots of nature, dunes, beaches, but also typical Anglo-Norman villas.
Can't get enough? Download the "Vlaanderen Vakantieland" walking guide for some additional inspiration.